Friday, September 7, 2012

Goat Research

With the rain off and on today and the slightly colder than I love weather I fed the animals and filled water tanks this morning as usual.  Much of the rest of my day has been about research.  I have been researching our new herd of goats in depth.  I believe that research is hugely important to any successful venture.  I have read everything from general care to vaccines to breeding to what body types do well in shows to everything else I could find. 

When we decided to start raising boer goats, I of course researched a few topics but the brunt of my learning has come after their purchase.  I do think it is important to learn everything you can about any animal species you want to raise in order for all to hopefully go well.  There is such a vast array of info on the internet that I am all too happy to take advantage of.  Thank you to all that post this info on their websites!  It also doesn't hurt to talk to your local vet for advice.  They can be a tremendous resource.

I have also been trying to find more goats to purchase, but am having some trouble with that.  I want more does, but everyone has bucks or wethers for sale.  I usually search craigslist for these inquiries.  There I get local results and can usually see a picture of any potential purchase. 

Well, back to a little research then some quality family time!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment