Friday, August 24, 2012

Billy the Boer Goat



Billy is our first Boer goat purchase.  He is supposed to be 100% boer but not registered.  I was a little hesitant in buying goats again as we had a few pigmy goats the year we moved here.  We weren't equipped for them at all.  We bought them at a sale barn which maybe was our first mistake.  They were wild, got out of the pen repeatedly, ate all my flowers and ended up getting mouth disease that killed most them.  We promptly ridded ourselves of the remaining goats with the conviction I would never buy goats again!

However, my husband has wanted more goats for a while now.  Not pigmy goats, but boer goats which he assured me over and over would go better than the others did.  I finally broke down this spring when we showed up to purchase a cow and they had goats for sale for a decent price.  He and the kids kept asking until I gave in. 

We have had him now for a few months and he is wonderful at eating the weeds that the cows don't eat.  He also herds with the cows.  At first they were not too fond of him and chased him a bit.  Maybe only because they had just calved.  Now they don't seem to mind having him close by.  The only bad thing about him is that he gets his head/horns stuck in the fence constantly.  The past few days he has not had it stuck so I'm crossing my fingers, but some days I have to go unstick him 3 or 4 times!  and in the same place sometimes! 

Anyway, he is a beautiful goat and the neighbors that have goats already want to use him to breed.  All things considered I am still ok with having a few goats and hopefully this spring we will have some cute little baby boer goats!

No comments:

Post a Comment