Thursday, August 23, 2012

Lesson in Breeding

We started with 1 heifer on our tiny farm. She had been a bottle calf for my son.  When she was ready to breed we sent her to another farm to "meet" with their bull.  Everything went as expected and she had a beautiful baby girl.  That little girl became our 2nd cow and so on.  This year we had 3 cows to breed plus 2 calves at their sides.  Instead of shipping everyone over to the neighbors to breed we decided to AI them.  Next year we will have a total of 6 to breed so we figured this year was a good test year. 

Not knowing much about the process I turned to the internet.  I read articles and watched videos and I did my homework to find out exactly what was involved, or so I thought, and what the cost was compared to taking them somewhere.  Our wonderful vet was very patient with me and took the time to explain every aspect of the entire process.  As my husband and I looked at the prospective "fathers" online it struck me as a little odd to be doing just that.  We were looking to see who's sperm we wanted.  We were limited to a "calving ease" bull due to one of our cows being a 1st time heifer.  Then a couple weeks ago I called to order my first batch of semen.  That's something I have never done before and had to chuckle a little at myself when I got off the phone.

Ten days ago we began the process with an injection and a seeder.  One of the vets came out and loaded each in the chute (our cows are somewhat tame so it's difficult to get them to go in), gave them the shot and inserted the progesterone seeder.  Seven days later the vet came to give another injection and pull the seeder out.  He also put a sticker on their back that would turn green when they started "getting on" each other.  I have been out there checking that sticker every day two or three times in the hopes of seeing green.  Yesterday the heifer's tag was totally green and the others weren't green hardly at all, so after another phone call to the vet I felt at ease today's breeding appointment would work out.  He said the others probably weren't green due to they are the biggest and leaders of the herd and probably do not let others on them?  I hope so!

This morning we finally got to breed them.  Each went in the chute without extreme difficulty.  He inserted the semen and gave them an injection to make them ovulate and out they went.  He seemed sure that their cervix's were soft and open which he said was the perfect time to breed. Now we only have to wait and see if this whole process worked! 

I have been a bit of a nervous wreck during the whole process of waiting, watching and waiting some more.  My husband laughs at my nervousness about this whole thing and the vet said it's a lot to learn the 1st year but after that I will love it?  Not sure yet.  I guess we will see if it all works.  Hopefully in 20-ish days we don't see anyone mounting anyone else and if not then in 45 days they can be preg-checked.  I still have not dismissed the idea of buying or renting a bull for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment