Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Yearly Review

Every year when the cold starts to set in I begin my mental review of the past year.  Which things did I love doing, which ones did I try new and what did I hate doing?  Basically, what will I do different for the next year?  These questions go on through the winter until I have decided on a plan for next year.  It's also my time to research projects that I am interested in but have not had time to learn about. 

There is one thing I have decided so far for next year and that is what to do with my potato patch.  They did not do anywhere near amazing this year and I had no room for a pumpkin patch.  I really missed not having any pumpkins -1 year I even planted the baby pumpkins.  Next year I will be planting the pumpkins in the potato patch!

We definately want to grow our goat herd next year, too.  We had wanted to get a few more nannies this year, but we had trouble finding any at reasonable prices as the year went on.  We are more interested in the full bred/unregistered reasonably priced ones than the high dollar papered ones.

We also will have to take it easy on the cow herd growing until all the pastures are up and running (unless I see something that I love!).  Next year should be the last year this has to happen.  Hopefully after that we can sustain ourselves in the winter with hay too!!!

As the review begins for this year, I am always looking for new ideas to use on our farm.  I look for ideas that others are doing or not doing and why.  I like to find ideas that are at least cost efficient. 



No comments:

Post a Comment