Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pork at a Discount

While I do love bacon, pork chops and sausage I do not love pigs.  As much as I love to walk around and interact with all of our animals, I did not love having a pig.  We raised a pig for butcher a few years ago and I don't know why, but I just couldn't like it.

It was kind of a costly endeavor by the time we bought all the feed and while we enjoyed having pork in the freezer for anytime we wanted and we knew exactly what it ate, it didn't really save us any money.  After that, we started buying a pig from a local farmer to take to the locker.  This wasn't much cheaper than store prices per pound, either, but we like to buy local and know what we are eating.  

Recently we have been wanting to purchase another, but hog prices are a little higher than the last time we got one.  I was enlightened one day to the fact that I could purchase a "belly rupture" hog for less than the price of a regular hog.  I, not knowing what that meant, said absolutely not at first.  I assumed there would be something wrong with the end product.  After doing some research on it I found that all a belly rupture hog is is one with a hernia.  Absolutely no impact on the meat unless it gets ruptured during butcher!  

We got our hog and it's at the butcher right now.  I am very excited that I will pay a grand total of a little over $1.50 per pound for the pork.  That is so much cheaper than grocery store prices!  

If you are in the market for pork check with your local hog farmers.  I was told that they cannot send the "problem pigs" out with the others for butcher.  They have to send them to another facility.  The farmer that we purchased ours from was more than happy to get rid of one to us.   

And as always -buy local and support the farmers in your area!!

No comments:

Post a Comment