Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Preparing for Goat Kids

Last Friday I noticed that our very pregnant doe, one of the first purchased last year, had a swollen hind end.  Hubby and I looked at her when he got home from work and he didn't think it was enough to warrant separating her.  I don't think he is as "in tune" with noticing these things like me!!

  By Sunday she was swollen enough for him to notice so he moved her into the stall we had prepared in the barn that now houses the 8 bottle goats and a new 4H calf, Stella, that we purchased last week.  Dazzle is friendly, but not super excited about being touched since she was very young.  Yesterday Dazzle was very receptive to me being in the stall with her and for a little grain she let me feel the babies and pet her.

Today, on the other hand, she seemed more nervous and did not want me touching her at all.  She is starting to have a small amount of clear discharge from the hind end as well as more swelling.  There is no bagging up yet, so I am hoping that won't be a problem. From what I have read, the birth could still be days away.  I get very excited about babies!  Enough to even warrant extra trips outside in the cold!

Hers will be our first kids born here.  Her counterpart, Razzle, is looking pregnant but not near as big as her.  I was hoping they would be kidding around the same time, but as of now I am doubting that.  These girls are full boer and bred to our all red full boer billy.  I will be posting some pics of the new little ones as soon as they arrive!!

As always, HAVE A GREAT DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment