Thursday, March 13, 2014

Spring Has Finally Arrived

Just two short weeks ago we experienced yet another night of -25 degrees with windchill.  Two weeks later we hit 65 degrees today!  I have said time and time again how much I detest winter, snow and cold.  It makes chores an unpleasant job that I hurry through as quickly as I can and that I enjoy so much in nicer weather.  I love to spend time with my animals and I believe they like it too.

Today I let some of the larger goats out of the barn for the first time in what seems like forever.  They loved the warm sunshine and so did I! I spent a couple hours outside with them.

We have had 6 baby goat kids survive being born in our worst winter in years and only 1 didn't make it.  Pretty good record considering that it has felt like the arctic tundra.  All but the new twins are eating hay and grain. We are still bottle feeding the triplets but they are growing like weeds!  I am finally working on names for both girls.  

Baby cows are due to begin arriving April 9th.  This is an event I anticipate all year long.  The most we have had in a season is 2 and this year we are expecting 5 possibly 6!!  Wow! Hopefully everything will go well for all of them as we have lots of first time mommas.  The cows are also starting to spend time in the pasture.  

We are beginning a new chapter in the meat goat raising saga.  Our first two wethers are ready to butcher.  While it is a little bit saddening, it is the reason we started this adventure.  Our meat sales license is ready to send, the locker is lined up and all we have left is to purchase a new freezer exclusive to the business.  We are then ready to start selling goat meat, or chevon.  I will post more detail to the process later for those interested.

We are continuously brainstorming ideas to make money with our acreage.  I have a few more ideas on the table and we will see where they lead.  My ultimate goal would be to sustain our family life with farm income!

As always have a great day!!

"Don't forget to pray today. God didn't forget to wake you up this morning." 
(unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment